Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast Iron Welding

Quote Originally Posted by starklite View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Yes the sleeves are available.
    Re: Silver Soldering - The mechanic at our old shop Wilson Plank has perfected a method of installing cylinder sleeves and silver soldering them in place.
    This past Monday we had an hour long conversation about the merits of silver soldering the intake nipples in a Chief cylinder. He states that the head bolt holes directly over the intake nipple cause a stress rise, and makes that area crack, so he started silver soldering the nipples in place which increases the strength of the nipple/head surface thereby stopping it from cracking when you torque the heads down.
    So I'm sure he would be able to repair anything you sent him and it would be down with his attitude towards perfection.

Having said that, he can be a little bit slow in getting work out the door, as he does the work all himself, and he has a lot of work to perform.
    His phone number is: 714-447-4636 and he is available most days.
    Gary!

I hang on every word Wilson says.
    But isn't it the Sport Scouts that have the bolt right over the nipple?

A wrong bolt in that hole is disastrous!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-30-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Yes Cotten - your name was also mentioned in the conversation with Wilson on Monday.

When we were talking about the manifolds, nipples, and leaks he mentioned how you came up with your testing method to check for leaks, and how you did it before he thought of it, and then to see if he could improve it.....

Yes, the Chief head bolts are not directly over the nipple, but close enough in his opinion to need to soldered the nipple in place. It will accomplish two things. Strengthen the cylinder when you bolt the head in place and prevent the nipple threads from ever wanting to leak.
    He used to use a high temp copper rtv sealant, but feels the silver solder is the proper method now.

Gary Stark

Just for the record, I suspect Heron of Alexandria first documented bubble-testing around 40 A.D.

The mystery is why modern minds overlooked for so long.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-01-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Gary Stark, thanks for your reply. I should have defined that "35-6-7" as a sport scout cylinder, just in case you thought I was talking about Chief. so my question is, is there a sport scout cylinder sleeve available with a +.060 od and a standard bore? Or am I asking for something impossible?
    Thanks again.