Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Save Our Judging

Wow ! That's a good parable Paps. I know I led this topic off course but it's because I'm just not as upset about judging as I am about how judging has become a matchstick for igniting the de-moralization of the whole club. I mean, judging is not that big of a deal and it's not a very big part of the AMCA. Judging is a big deal for some people but to a majority of people within the whole membership of the AMCA, judging means nothing. The most important thing to a majority of the members is the magazine, and how well the board members and chapters handle the administration of meets, road runs, and membership problems. I know a lot of older members who have no interest in judging and only care about when the magazine is due. For instance, how many different people have responded to this topic on the forum since Eustis ? 20? maybe 30. Out of 11,000 members that isn't even a mosquitoe bite. I agree that there are accountability questions with the AMCA but I prefer to direct my inquisition to questions about the "Foundation" and how that mess happened. The thing that turned me off on this whole judging thing was the suggestion on this forum, that maybe someone should physically assault Steve Slocombe at one of our national meets. Is this the kind of club you want to be in ? That may be cool in the Hell's Angels or the Outlaws but this is the AMCA And that is not what Ted Hodgdon, Henry Wing, and Emmett Moore had in mind when they started this thing 56 years ago. Again, we're in the AMCA meet season; let's have some fun.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    The thing that turned me off on this whole judging thing was the suggestion on this forum, that maybe someone should physically assault Steve Slocombe at one of our national meets.
    I don't remember anyone making that suggestion. I do remember warning Steve that it could happen.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    I don't remember anyone making that suggestion. I do remember warning Steve that it could happen.
    Chris
    to remind you what you said
    "I would hate to find myself in his shoes. Imagine walking around at a meet not knowing exactly when and where some disgruntled member will have a serious heart to heart talk with him."

that does not sound like a physical assualt
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Wow ! That's a good parable Paps. I know I led this topic off course but it's because I'm just not as upset about judging as I am about how judging has become a matchstick for igniting the de-moralization of the whole club. I mean, judging is not that big of a deal and it's not a very big part of the AMCA. Judging is a big deal for some people but to a majority of people within the whole membership of the AMCA, judging means nothing. The most important thing to a majority of the members is the magazine, and how well the board members and chapters handle the administration of meets, road runs, and membership problems. I know a lot of older members who have no interest in judging and only care about when the magazine is due. For instance, how many different people have responded to this topic on the forum since Eustis ? 20? maybe 30. Out of 11,000 members that isn't even a mosquitoe bite. I agree that there are accountability questions with the AMCA but I prefer to direct my inquisition to questions about the "Foundation" and how that mess happened. The thing that turned me off on this whole judging thing was the suggestion on this forum, that maybe someone should physically assault Steve Slocombe at one of our national meets. Is this the kind of club you want to be in ? That may be cool in the Hell's Angels or the Outlaws but this is the AMCA And that is not what Ted Hodgdon, Henry Wing, and Emmett Moore had in mind when they started this thing 56 years ago. Again, we're in the AMCA meet season; let's have some fun.
    Excellently put Eric. The Chapters do an exceptional job of hosting the meets. The magazine is awesome. As you said, no one should make any physical threats. I am not going to allow the issues at hand to deter me from enjoying any of the meets I attend. There is plenty of time during the off season to bare down on those issues. Between meets, there is also plenty of time to get things set straight. There is also plenty of time between meets to put actions into motion in preparation of a possible battle during the off season. Hopefully the straight path will arise and a battle can be avoided.

Dear George and Kyle, I didn't judge any Panheads at Eustis. Are people mixing me up with someone else?

With the passing of another Member of this Club isn't it about time for us to stop and think about some issues. A few years back in the magazine a profile of the members ages was published. I hope someone can post a link to it somehow for everyone to look at again. Better yet maybe another Census should be taken and we all should look at it and think about the whole situation. If I remeber correctly there were not many members below the age of Forty? In 20 to 25 years what will this clubs membership consit of? I know here in New England with the passing in the last few years of Jay, George, Paul, Rick, Dave and Carrol I see quite a few less faces at out local meets. There are probably a few more faces gone I cannot think of at this time. Have any of those members been replaced with any younger ones? Personally I don't see it here? Anyone who is a book of knowledge and has spent a lifetime helping others trying to build something for the future does not need to be discarded like the days trash. It is hard enough to find anyone young today who has any interest in old Motorcycles. Then go and try to find someone who has the interest, time and ability to educate themselves to a level of someone like Robin Markey. Somebody really dropped the ball and isn't thinking. Too Bad.

The facts are that the old American-made motorcycles are now priced beyond the reach of someone wanting to get into antique motorcycles, unless of course Daddy is loaded. Even the Brit and Japanese bikes do not seem to be followed by a young crowd. Granted, there exceptions to any rule. But in reality, who can afford a knucklehead in todays market?

The question is what happens to our old bikes? I predict that a majority of the exceptional examples will end up in museums, here and abroad. There will remain riders floating at a basic price. For those who just want to ride American, I predict the trend will be Evos - a very reliable machine which does not require much in the way of maintenance and there are many low mileage examples remaining, enough to meet demand for many years.

As an example, look at shovelheads. With the availability of Evos the price is dropping and has been for several years. Even a slab shovel, unless it is very nice, has trouble breaking $10K, in spite of what you see folks asking for them on Ebay - look at the completed listings!

At some point the bottom of the market will be found, I would guess in 20 - 25 years when us baby boomers all drop dead. We are the group that created this demand here in the US. Look at the demographics of Corvettes and even the new Harleys - baby boomers are the big market and when we quit buying when we retire since our funds are then constrained, there goes it all!
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

"almost unknown Peter Heinz, who did the most to modernize the system "

Yeah the same Peter Heinz who judged a bike that was not even at the meet.
    Let us not forget.