Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Dealers web sites?

There was Schmitt Cycles in Orlando, Florida on Colonial Drive. Schmitt was the Indian, to Puckett's Harley Davidson. The old man kept a 1941 Sport Scout into the early 80's but I don't know what happened to it. His sons stayed in the business with Honda and other brands. I think you could find a lot of these dealer locations in the back of "The Motorcyclist" magazines. There was usually a state by state listing of dealers for the benefit of touring riders.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Default Orlando

Eric,

I roadraced with Mr. Schmitt's son Mark. I had no idea they were the original Orlando Indian dealer, as they were selling Suzukis by then. Way before my time. I think the Schmitts also owned the MG dealership across the street.

I remember the old Puckett's shop on South BOT down by Interstate 4 back in the late 70s. They had an early XR-750 racer chassis in the front window. Now I think it's a strip bar.
    Last edited by dlm32; 10-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    David Morrill
    Sylacauga, AL. USA.
    AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
    Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Jack Baldwin in Santa Monica, CA. Ted Evans in Culver City, CA, Floyd Clymer and in Los Angeles. All long gone.
    Chris do you know the correct names?
    Mike Dunn
    Vintage German Motorcycles
    www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    There was Schmitt Cycles in Orlando, Florida on Colonial Drive. Schmitt was the Indian, to Puckett's Harley Davidson. The old man kept a 1941 Sport Scout into the early 80's but I don't know what happened to it. His sons stayed in the business with Honda and other brands. I think you could find a lot of these dealer locations in the back of "The Motorcyclist" magazines. There was usually a state by state listing of dealers for the benefit of touring riders.
    Eric,

Do you have the address?
    Mike Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    this is a great idea. hope it gets going so I can add my 2 cents.
    I am now working on the excell spread sheet. i will gather all the info and soon I will have a web site where you can click on the state, dealers names and than click on the address and it will take you to a google map where you can view where the location once was. You can also view pictures of what was the building at one time. So please, if you have names and address , etc. As much as possible I will get it all in there.

Mike
    Mike Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by kval View Post
    Robert
    you mean like this!!

No Kevin. That’s not even close to what I had in mind. I love how you take this forum for granted. Yellow tag this discussion and ask for a moderator that would like to follow through and put it into a spreadsheet form. Start another category and call it something like “source’ where this type of information can be stored as a time capsule. You can even expand it to be able to lock the dealer, address and the years in business but still allow people to leave memories and thoughts. All of this is just a key stroke away. Thank you Annie! Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    No Kevin. That’s not even close to what I had in mind. I love how you take this forum for granted. Yellow tag this discussion and ask for a moderator that would like to follow through and put it into a spreadsheet form. Start another category and call it something like “source’ where this type of information can be stored as a time capsule. You can even expand it to be able to lock the dealer, address and the years in business but still allow people to leave memories and thoughts. All of this is just a key stroke away. Thank you Annie! Bob L
    I have already started a spread sheet and have around 30+ dealers. I will make a web site and have something where people can imput their shops they remember.

Mike
    Mike Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Chris do you know the correct names?
    Jack Balwin Motorcycles was on Pico Blvd in Santa Monica. Ted Evans Motorcycles was on Washington Blvd in Culver City, Ca, although most people thought he was in Venice. Floyd Clymer Motorcycles was downtown Los Angeles. His dealership was purchased by Rich Budiler Harley-Davidson and was destroyed in a fire shortly after. The fire was presumed to be Jewish Lightning.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Here's one that needs to be added to the list: Doby Reid's Bike Mart in Chickasaw, Tennessee.