Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tank emblem paint

Default tank emblem paint

what is the proper paint for 1950 tank emblems. I sent them out to rechrome and now have to paint them. black is black but what color is the red on them?

thanks
    Moose
    aka Glenn

There is no black on originals. Everything is fire engine red.
    Top is original. Other two are repops.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I'm also interested in a red paint that the AMCA would approve for the '47 style Speedball emblems. Chris' description of "Fire Engine Red" is a great description, it does look like that color, but is that the actual name given to a paint suppliers color? Is there an enamel paint that is the accepted color? I'd even be willing to mix a few colors to get it right. Maybe even add a little fading to the look. Thanks, Bob
    Bob

this guy can anser all your paint questions and sell you the correct product too

John Pierce Colorwrite - Paint for and how to paint antique and vintage motorcycle restorations. Original Factory colors, modern quality. DuPont single stage and base/clear paints. Every known Harley color before 1970. Questions, current pricing, Call days between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.

(603)942-5610 or Fax (603)942-5675
    Our E-mail Address is John@hdpaint.tk
    To E-Mail the Proprietor Click Here
    HTML Code and website maintenance By Harley Pierce.
    To E-mail Harley Pierce admin@hdpaint.tk
    Last edited by flat-happy; 06-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.

I used testors model paint on my emblems about 8 years ago and never been questioned on the color. I have had the bike judged several times. The paint looks and holds up great. I will figure out the color I used if anyone is interested.

photo of my emblems
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great Erdos. I'm interested in the colour.

"never been questioned on the color. I have had the bike judged several times"

But then again, this isn't saying much.
    When you go in with 89 points, correct everything, and come out with an 83, and EVERYTHING
    the second time marked wrong was 100% correct, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Tomclay, Follow up with the Chief Judge. There's a formal appeals process. One badly-managed judging team shouldn't sour you on the whole club judging scheme.

Good day Glenn, Let me let you in on one of my secret methods I came up with twenty-seven years ago of getting this BS job done the right way fast. Do not use a paint brush unless you really want a crap job. Spray them. Let them dry for at least a week before ya screw with them. The paint in the indentations is going to be thick. I know what you’re thinking. Is this guy nuts? The whole emblem painted! This is good. Now take a rag and put some lacquer thinner (That means a little thinner not a soaking wet rag! You don’t want it getting into the indentations.) on it and wipe the paint off the flat. Your job will be perfect. If you try to mask those suckers, you’ll be there until Christmas and the job will look like hell. Like any other paint job. Try and give it 45 to 60 days for the paint to cure before putting any polish to it. Let it breathe. This lengthy tutorial has cut into my beer time. Best of ruck, Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 10-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.