Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olive drab paint

The green used on military bikes in the 30s and 40s gloss or matt was much darker than the gloss olive green used on civilian and export bikes.

I donít know when the practice of painting export bikes gloss olive green started and finished but I have seen the gloss olive paint used on what are believed to be export bikes from 1934 until 1939. I also have an original olive paint 1947/48 rear fender.

Pete Reeves 860

Here is the original paint 1936 export model.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Thumbs up

Wow! Ain't that a beauty?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Here is the original paint 1936 export model.
    Somehow I think Pete is already very familiar with what that bike looks like ... Perry

Hint: check the Fall 2007 club magazine
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 05-05-2009 at 11:45 PM.

I knew I'd seen that bike before! Great machine!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Red face

Well... this issue of the color is getting more complicated than expected. I have asked Antique Cycle Supply to quote me an HD civilian green valid for 1917 and let's see what comes out... They should certainly know better than me!

I attach here the picture the brand new (even not in my hands yet!) bought "Motorcyke" that I will try to restore (including paint) by myself - should be easier than a motorcycle!

I attach also a supposedly original paint one belonging to a collector in US... Does somebody recognizes the color?

Kind regards.

Chris.

PPG says this 1001 isn't a good number. Anyone have a good number for the Olive green on a 31 vl?

Dear Don, with a bit of research you can still match Olive Green to the Seaweed paint code given earlier in this thread. My painter says the BS 4800 reference is important. I have painted up some samples of this onto small sheet metal plates if you get desperate or need to double check.

At the risk of further controversy, I think the WW1 Harleys were painted glossy Olive Drab, then it was called Olive Green on the subsequent civvy bikes, called Glossy Olive Drab again on the few 1930s military bikes such as my one-time 35VD6993, used through 1941 on for instance the South African 41WLA models, then used flat as Olive Drab for the bulk of WW2.

Olive Drab is a military term. The shade was applied in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat finish over the years. I don't think there is any relation to the MOCO's use of the term 'Olive" to describe a green color.
    VPH-D