Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Lagging for 12 HD

castor oil , interesting , I am using some leather dressing called Flexalan , a lanolised leather dressing , also Glycerine soap in a spray bottle , the leather belts are giving good service but may as well invest in a bottle of castor oil and give it a try , if it doesn't work it can always go in the medicine cupboard !!!! How is your project getting on Rod K ???
    happy riding , Ken
    Ken

Ken, when I saw it I thought I'd find this thread and post it. Pretty interesting indeed. I too am interested in how Rod K's project is coming along.... maybe he'll chime in. Did you get a chance to put many miles on that wonderful Excelsior of yours this year??
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Default Belt Lagging

Oh dear , not too many this year I'm afraid !!!! only about 250 miles but about 800 on my 1916 Excelsior and I do have 12 bikes to keep on the road riding , some suffer few miles a year but try and make up for it another year , trouble is there aren't enough hours in the day !!! but they were smile miles so that's what counts !!! I see in an earlier thread Cory that you refer to an article in a 1911 magazine about wetting their belts , any chance of reproducing it on here ?????
    Rod K , please keep us up to date on how you are getting on , many thanks everyone for your input , great forum !
    Ken just a reminder , here's a pic of my Excelsior 4B - with it's hand warmers on

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6fq-xZ_IQSA/Sq...260606%2Cc.jpg
    Ken

Default Lagging

I am new to this antique bike stuff but purcahsed a 1910 Harley in peices and built with internet forum help. One of the problems I found with the belt drive system is that there is slipage going up steep grades and when in nurtal, causin friction heat, smoke, and damage to the leather. I have a Ford model T and replaced the transmition and brake bands with Kevlar, which work great, so I had an idea. I purchased a 2" wide Kevlar brake band, cut to size, and mounted it on the engin pulley, where it can't be seen unless you look very close, and it works great. I can stand at idle forever with no friction or burning and it grips great. The correct belt tension is of course always important at iddle, as it has to be loose enough. Did some research and found in the day owners could buy after market lagging made from resin soaked espestos (sp?) which of course can no longer be found as it has been banned for it's health issues. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by wyatt emp; 11-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Ken!!! That Excelsior is awesome! I like the "new" '16 as well. Great stuff!!!

It wasn't really articles that I was referring to but letters written in from riders. This info comes from the Nov,2 1911 issue of Motorcycling.

This one is just for grins....

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Thanks Cory , letters from riders are very interesting too , I suppose an early form of a forum but not quite so quick !!!! love the old adds , wonder what they used to make stretchless belts ?? Ken
    Ken

Ken! Sounds like the stretchless belts were made from "various hides" With those days being so cutthroat with fear of having ideas ripped off it appears to me that is why we hear vagueness in advertising. I'll keep my eye out for belt advertisements and post them when I find them...
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Hi Ken...Finally got all the pieces fitted together, and I can roll the thing around the basement. My goal this winter is to pull the engine and start the rebuild with the help of a friend. I would like to have the motor done by next summer. Then start to pull the bike back apart and put some paint on the repro sheet metal parts. I'm not going to do a cosmetic restoration. I'm going to paint the new parts grey and leave the original parts in orig. condition. I want to get it running and ride it...... I want to ride it before it's 100 years old or I'm 100 years old. Which ever comes first.
    I got to get a move on...thanks for the interest. I'll keep ya posted...............Rod

Default Belt Lagging for '12 HD

Cory , thanks for the ads , if I find anything , I'll post too , how do you put photo's direct on to the forum ? rather than having to click on a link ?

Rod , yes please keep us informed , I am pleased you are doing a sympathetic restoration and not better than new , it'll look far better and am sure you will enjoy the ride , the old uns are the best , goes for bikes too !!!! Ken
    Ken

Any luck here with belt dressing type? Or soaking the lagging in water or dressing?? What is the best method tryed out proving suitable here.... id like to know as im planning to run a timeless machine