Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for old pre-1950 photos for book

Default Looking for old pre-1950 photos for book

Hi,
    Hope anyone out there with any photos of women riders from 1950 and earlier will submit them to me for my book. Book is called , "The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950". Will be a beautiful, coffee table, hardcover book. A photographic history of these early American women riders.

I am a 3 time Motorcycle Hall of Famer and have been great response for the book. It is due to be published March 2009.

If you have anything to submit, please do so soon. Deadline for submission is ASAP. email me at: crisnpat@earthlink.net

Thanks!
    Cris Sommer-Simmons
    "VLGirl"

Hey Chris,
    Long time no see.
    VPH-D John G.

What is your last name, John? Did you work for H-D in the 80's?

Chris.
    Yes, I worked at Villa Park in IL, John Graff
    VPH-D

Hey, how are you? Weren't you in Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by VL Girl View Post
    Hi,
    Hope anyone out there with any photos of women riders from 1950 and earlier will submit them to me for my book. Book is called , "The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950". Will be a beautiful, coffee table, hardcover book. A photographic history of these early American women riders.

I am a 3 time Motorcycle Hall of Famer and have been great response for the book. It is due to be published March 2009.

If you have anything to submit, please do so soon. Deadline for submission is ASAP. email me at: crisnpat@earthlink.net

Thanks!
    Cris Sommer-Simmons
    "VLGirl"
    Wow - I want that book! I am also interested to know if your book is limited to woman riders only or also the woman in factory MC advertisement/publicity? I am intrigued often by both. My wife and daughter think me a bit odd when I show them old woman rider photos/stories as well as old woman in factory bike add type stuff. Both are very interesting to me. They juxtapose women in two very different roles of the period/s. How about the company pushes to involve women during times of stress. I.E. - I remember reading in other books where companies like HD and Indian really tried to push female ridership, but often did so only under duress to help a failing bottom line, etc.

Hopefully you have details about the cross country exploits as well??

Who's the publisher and when can we get the book? Can I get a signed copy?

Very timely and a place in history often missed by most. Congrats on a great idea.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Default John Graff...

Hi John, did you work there when Dave Sciabaras (Odie) owned it? I used to live in Lombard and back in the early 80's I would go there for parts and service. I remember Linda Jo at the parts counter too. I think it was in the mid 80's that he sold it to Gene.

Hey Cris, did you get the photos I sent you to your e-mail address?
    Bruce Keith
    AMCA #1467

Yes, I worked there from 77-82. Dave bought the place in 64, I believe. Yes, Chris, still in Colorado. Great idea for a book, why limit it to 1950? If you carry it on thru the 80s, you could include yourself an Jo. Damn women's libbers...
    VPH-D

I met Cris and Jo when we rode together on the 1988 or 1993 Ride Home frome Los Angeles to Milwaukee.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Hey John,
    Yes, we were the libbers, weren't we? lol. And we had fun too!

Book is limited to 1950 and earlier right now. Will do another later no doubt.

Hope life has been good to you.