Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chrome removal

I agree Doug, we need more imput on this thread because this has to be a factor for many of us. Mmoore's post got me thinking, and believe me this might be dangerous. If it's a matter of more amps what about using a buzz box welder as the power source ?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Classic Chrome on 49th St. in Clearwater has never had a problem removing chrome for us.

My bobber project came a to screaching halt. The Ole Lady wanted chrome everywhere so I am doing just that. I shelled out close to 6 bills for a strip and chrome job on 2 16" rims for the bobber. I laced and trued the wheels to the rims, mounted them to the bike, and finally got to a rolling chassi statis. The bike has not seen any adverse temperatures, never been out of the house. It has collected some dust though. The other day, I decided to wipe that dust off of her. Using a sof cloth, I began with the rims. I started with the rear. Needless to say, My expensive strip and chrome job began peeling off like tape. I am really upset about this !! I have not notified the company who performed the work yet. I want to get another bid for the work first. As I said, the rims were to be stripped first. They were not. The evidence to prove this ??? The old chrome and rust is still there, underneath the overlay of new chrome ! Paps

was wondering if anyone ever tried a DC welder as a power supply for this type of thing? Been thinkin about this for a while now, and it would seem perfect for the job. You could dial in the amps you need to do the job , and nothing more. Seems to me one would have great control over the process. So what am I missing? I can't be the first guy to think of this.
    Brian

My local plater told me he uses a proprietary caustic solution that removes the nickle without electricity. It sure sounds like one of the MetalX products.
    http://www.finishing.com/stripper/index.shtml
    Also sold in small quantities by Caswell.

Default powercoat over chrome

sorry I aint been around warming up outside and working too much. anyway I found a guy that powercoated a chrome wheel last year. It worked great nice and smooth. Im going to pick up my brand new chrome wheel I had him powercoated today. he has a process to get it to stick on the chrome without removing it. so im giving it a try. we will find out as i lace it up and put a tire on it. I wanted a black rim but never found one I liked or fit. I bought some stainless spokes but they looked bad as the die that stamped the head tried to put a B on them but the B was so worn it looked awful. I ground it off sanded it down to 600 grit paper and finished by polishing up. 2 hours a nite for the last 8 days but they finally look good

The "B" on your nipples is ( or was , last I knew) the mark of Buchannons Frame Shop. Those were some of the very best stainless spokes around.
    Brian

Default spokes

your right the spokes came from them but I think the b in thier die is worn out as it looks awful. since these went into a front drum the heads were not hid by a brake disk and were highly visible on a black drum. many hours of grinding and polishing gave me a nice clean head.

Dear All, my regular chrome plater also strips chrome by reversing the current. I wouldn't try this at home. If you strip the chrome down to the nickel then this surface will take paint. If there is no nickel under the chrome then you need to change plater.

By the way, I took some parts down to an old powder coater the other day, and he said they parkerize (manganese phosphate) the metal first to make a key for the powder coat. I suspect Harley did this on their frames/forks, as old original paint wears straight down to the metal with no primer visible.

Here is a link to a good method for stripping chrome down to the steel. Use the instructions link on the page to download a instructional pdf.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Sto...l.aspx?p=20613