pic 6

PRG Guest

Default Four...that first ride

pic 7

PRG Guest

Default Four...that first ride

pic 8

INLINE4NUT Guest

PRG. thanks for the post! Your machine sure looks tobe a labour of LOVE thankyou for sharing with all of us!!

Tom Lovejoy Guest

Beautiful machine for certain and your post was interesting, thanks. Yep I know Dennis well, though I have not talked to him in a couple years. Hey Joe, good luck what a thrill you are in for and their one of the best sounding machines ever!! I have ridden next to Harry Sucher on his at about 45, it sounded so good!!!! Cant wait to hear how it goes and our fingers are crossed all goes well.

partshunt Guest

Thank you very very much Tom: I will send a coupla pics of it later, right now its stuck for the old style 4 key trans sprocket. Also, A coupla small items have been removed for repaint. Soon it will be ready. Its fueled and has been started and run up a bit statically tho.....Does anyone know who may have or remake those older 4 key sprockets? I'm sure they be the same as Ace used, maybe even Hendersons. Need a 17 or even 18 tooth for a 29 model 402. ...Thanks again for your good luck wish.....Joe

Perry Ruiter Guest

Wow - learn something new everyday. I thought all Indian fours had a sprocket with a single key. But my 401 parts book shows 4 keys in use. My 403 parts book shows only one so it was changed early on. I don't have a 402 parts book which is what you are working on Joe. One key sprockets are readily available from Guy Hendersen but you'd need to pull your motor and change at least the mainshaft in the tranny (mainshaft is also available from Guy) to use one.

The other folks to try are these Ace enthusiasts. They don't list sprockets on their site but you could email and ask. Four key Henderson sprockets routinely show up on eBay but I doubt they'd work. I read that when Henderson designed Ace he went to great lengths to make sure no parts interchanged to avoid any infringement ... Perry

partshunt Guest

Hello Perry: Hows the new Indian 4 running? Been out on it yet? I checked out updating the gears as Indian did in mid 29. You need a copy of the "Series 402 Supplement" Parts Book. ..The mainshaft is larger. This means you need to change the low gear, the slider gear and bevel gearset along with all the larger washers and bearings. then the cluster is different also with larger dia bearing journals. Also the gear teeth are wider so a shallower kickstarter sector gear is used as well. Oh!! I forgot to include the high gear and larger bushing bore need changing as well. Also, the later single key sprocket sits on a larger taper, I have a couple here but cant use em. Probably $3000.00 to upgrade with new repop parts. All for a four key sprocket so I didnt go there..... If the set up worked in the Ace and later Indian Ace, then the 28 and early 29 Indian, I stayed with them. they are in good condition and good enough to run. When Indian took over Ace, they inherited the earlier smaller trans gutrs and thats why I thought an Ace sprocket may fit from late twentys. Early Henderson output sprocket may be the same taper 4 key, can anyone veryfy? Thanks Perry for the tip on Guy Henderson but he does not make the early 4 key sprocket. Roy Davies when I last talked to him, he didnt make em either.....Joe