Page 166 of 167 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1664

Thread: old photos

Not fun to see the lack of great old photos missing because of greed on the part of Photobucket and other companies.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by frichie68 View Post
    Not fun to see the lack of great old photos missing because of greed on the part of Photobucket and other companies.
    I don't blame PB for being opportunist, Rich!

I pity the suckers who fell for it.

Once upon a time, I signed on to ImageShack, freebee of course. It soon became obvious that it only offered more hoops to jump through: a direct upload was always easiest.

....Cotten
    PS: How many passwords do you people need to be happy?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-01-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Here's a couple I came across today from the Keene, NH Public Library collection:

Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I love the first picture you posted, Harry. I believe that is a 1915J as I can just see the shifter knob for the brand new 3 speed transmission. It's remarkable how flashy Harleys could be, but black and white pictures don't show the brightness, contrasts, and nickel accents like a color picture would. I know I speak for everyone here when I say, it would be priceless to see any of these motorcycles fresh out of the factory so we could see just how much attention was given to paint, and finish. The background is interesting as well. Looks like a military bivouac. Even in 1915, I'm sure everyone knew we were going to wind up in that war.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Good eye Eric on the 1915... the photo was labeled "1900-1920" . The second one had me scratching my head because it was labeled "bicycles"... and then I noticed overhead power lines in the background... but they're clearly early motorcycles and maybe electrification had already come to Keene, NH by the time that photo was taken.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I also love the second picture. It looks like all Indians from Springfield, Mass., and 2 Marsh-Metz from Brockton, Mass., and I'll bet those gas lights are Hawthorn lights from Bridgeport, Connecticut. That was back in the days when States were like countries, and regional loyalty was very strong, particularly in New England.

I'm going to guess the year, which I think is a year, plus/minus 1908. I believe that because all the Indians have cartridge forks which were supplanted by the leaf spring fork in later 1910; but mostly because of the 2 Indian Tri-Cars in the middle of the group which were probably less attractive when motor traffic increased. Really, who in their right mind would ride in a Tri-Car in the early days of motorized transportation when Americans were first learning to drive. Also, the 2 bikes on the far left look like they might be early Indians with rigid forks. The more I look at this picture, the more I enjoy it. Thank you, Harry.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

The second picture shows that they must not have cared about "scratches" in their paint! YIKES! GREAT photos nevertheless!!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

DSC05735.jpg Lucky to find this ad that hangs on my shop wall.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

DSC05738.jpg Found this early photo at Davenport 2016, sorry for the glare.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

thx Harry, and Eric! still can't get THAT on Facebook.