Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small hole right side of linkert? Plug or not?

T. Cotten Guest

CD!

I doubt that you have the wrong venturi,... but you may very well have it installed backwards.

More than a few have arrived at my shop like that which have been reported to run "fine".

Linkerts are very forgiving.

Chopperdave Guest

Default hmmmm

could that make it shoot gas out like that???

neat

im gonna check that this afternoon!

thanx!

Lonnie Guest

While we are on the subject of this overflow vent, maybe someone can offer some advise on my problem. My '42 knuck has a consistent problem, ever since it was put together last year, with gas pouring out of the overflow. The carb has been completely redone. It cut up big-time in Wauseon (late July), and my buddy replaced my foam float with a brass float, hoping that was the problem (though the foam float appeared fine). That seemed to solve the problem, as it did not do it again there. The bike sat until Jefferson (October 1st), and when I started it up there, presto, gas out the overflow! I bought an NOS needle & seat and hope this will cure it, but it is a shot in the dark. Trash in the gas does not seem to be the issue (100% restored orig. fuel ystem). Does it hot or cold, but not consistently. Sometimes, when I crank it with the gas off, then turn the gas on once it is running, it will be okay but not always. Any ideas?
    Thanks - Lonnie

T. Cotten Guest

Lonnie!

Even the best of floatvalves will seep over a matter of time if the petcock is not "positive".

If, however, your problem shows itself quite quickly, then a very likely culprit to suspect would be the brass boatanchor float, which certainly weighs at at least three or four times as much as an original.

Thus, to operate anywhere close, it must be set very deep in the bowl. Otherwise it allows the fuel level to rise to a flood.
    Even when set to 3/8" or more when necessary, it will rob you of reserve volume for accelleration, and gas mileage as well, but should service for a 'parade machine'.

Nobody really cares about gas mileage anymore,....right??

If you desire better, post me direct, lest I spam the forum.

Chopperdave Guest

Default okay

we got the carb figured out for the most part, but it still blows gas out the venturi vent when the choke is closed....

oh yeah, the bike is my buddy nelson's, he bought durable float for this carb in davenport from you

we got it pretty well dialed...

should we sorry about the gas blowin out then???

T. Cotten Guest

Sorry? Aside from $3 a gallon, the major concern is the fire hazard.

Which way is the venturi aimed?
    (The tight part should be to the front.)

Assuming it is in correctly, the next aspect to consider is daylight around the venturi. (See attachment, note arrow).
    Venturies were made of potmetal, which is a liquid like window glass, and slowly shrinking, moving, and crystallizing over the decades. The airgap plays havok with tuning as well.

The solution is to swage and machine it back to a pressfit.

Chopperdave Guest

Default okay

cool, that makes sense...

its weird, i have done tons of these carbs, mostly m74 b's and neverhad this as a problem...

but damn, does this knick start easy!!!!

haha!!

INLINE4NUT Guest

Cotten,
    Thanks for thiis nice little tip just when I thought I was tooooo old to learn anything of great value...... this comes along !

T. Cotten Guest

Default Circuit transition question

Indianut!

We are all learning, and I learn more and more about how little I know about Linkerts (and Schebs) daily.

(Anyone who says they are "simple" carbs is just as mistaken as those who insist they need an accellerator pump.)

If there are any true experts out there, then someone please explain for me:

Is the transition from the idle circuit to the highspeed circuit instantaneous once the proper RPM is reached, or is there an RPM where the fuel is entirely metered by the highspeed but not enough to completely pull air backwards through the idle circuit? Or does it gurgle back from the idle spring collar first?
    Is there a state where no air is drawn at all, yet nothing is purging from the idle bleeds?

And why do I find different heights of spring collars with no mention in the literature? (Or is there?)

And why are there "tit"s upon the idle bleed well cap and rear gallery plugs on some models?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

AdminGuy Guest

I don't know a thing.

I feel you would see some over lapping.

I don't feel the idle circuit would ever contain air. Vaccume.

2 cents. and by the way- great tech photo Cotton!