PDA

View Full Version : Tail light wire 1927 JD

Steve Swan
02-03-2016, 09:57 PM
i have some questions about the tail light wire on my 27JD 11090

Tell me if i am right or wrong: The tail light wire leaves the tail light, then enters through a hole in the rear section of the fender and the wire travels on the underside of the rear fender. (i am using a Replicant Metals rear fender.)

1. how is the tail light wire held in position on the underside of the rear fender ? Or, what is it that holds the wire in position on underside of rear fender ?

2. At the front, here does the tail light wire exit the rear fender ?

3. Is there a single clip that is held on with a screw and a nut that attaches to rear fender ? If so, where on the rear fender does this screw attach to ?

Thank in advance for your help.

MMasa
02-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Steve
The wire is enclosed in a small copper tube. This tube enters and exits the holes in the fender at the front and rear and then the wire exits the tube. The tube is held in place with a single clip if memory serves.
Mark

Steve Swan
02-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Steve
The wire is enclosed in a small copper tube. This tube enters and exits the holes in the fender at the front and rear and then the wire exits the tube. The tube is held in place with a single clip if memory serves.
Mark

Thanks, Mark. when you say copper tube, is that like a piece of plain copper tubing i can purchase at a hardware store, then bend it to fit ?

MMasa
02-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Hardware store or online. It would have to be annealed copper tube. I'll try to remember to get an OD for you.
Mark

Steve Swan
02-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Mark, i will appreciate that !

Steve Swan
02-04-2016, 03:01 PM
I have learned from Joe on JD yahoo group, the rear fender has a louvered hole front and rear the copper tubing with tail light wire goes through. my fender has the "louvered" hole in the rear, none in the front.

the copper tubing has me intrigued ! What the tube looks like, it's dimensions and how it "fishes" through those louvered holes, front to rear. i do note in my 27 parts book, the pn for "tail light wire and tubing" is 4704-18.

i wonder if anyone is reproducing this part..... ?

thanks in advance.

Steve

Tommo
02-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Steve,
The copper tube is 3/16 o.d. and protrudes out 1"1/8 at the rear and 1/2" at the front.
The open ends are very slightly flared to stop the edges chaffing the cable.
The copper tube goes under the left hand side of the mudguard cross piece and then through a clip
The hole for the clip is in the centre of the mudguard and it is 9" from the centre of the centre rivet holding the mudguard cross piece to the centre of the 1/4 hole for the retaining clip.
The sleeving that covers the wire at the rear is 3/8 in dia and is secured by a clip on the top of the mudguard.
The hole for this clip is to the right of the centreline of the mudguard so that the tail light wiring follows the centreline of the mudguard.
This hole is 3" down from the top edge (at the hinge) of the of the mudguard tailpiece
The bottom stand clip hole is 1" up from the tip of the mudguard
Hope this helps

Steve Swan
02-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Tommo, thank you very much for the precise description and information !