PDA

View Full Version : 1927 J Model timing issue

ChrisLewis
12-14-2015, 06:11 AM
Hello good people

My 1927 J was running fine until Saturday, I was playing around with the advance and retard to find an optimum setting.
It started to back fire and finally died on me, leading me to think the timing has moved.
Upon Inspection I removed the plugs to check the spark, both appear to be sparking however the front plug was a lovely brown but the rear is very wet.
Possibly a coil issue ? as there is still loads of compression.
I am reluctant to go further until I can get some advise, I don't even know how to get the cover off to inspect the points, and don't want to touch it until I know what I am doing.
Any help would be appreciated, especially diagrams.

Many thanks

Chris Lewis (UK)
chris@cssurvey.co.uk - 07967561743

exeric
12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
I think the coil, and condenser would be good places to start. I know from experience that a condenser can fail with no warning, and the symptoms are similar to those you describe.

ChrisLewis
12-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks Eric.

Just need to find where I can order a condenser now, and possibly a coil !! can anybody help

Regards

Chris (UK)

MMasa
12-14-2015, 10:40 PM
If you are using a stock 1927-28 coil, then the condenser is inside of the coil.
Mark

Steve Swan
12-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks Eric.

Just need to find where I can order a condenser now, and possibly a coil !! can anybody help

Regards

Chris (UK)

http://www.replicantmetals.com/products-j.html

ChrisLewis
12-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Thanks Mark & Steve

All information is gratefully received.
I have e-mailed replicant metals so hopefully the will post to the UK.
Regards

Chris

exeric
12-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Chris, in your second picture I see the later, and more common H-D square coil that was used from 1930 and up. The condenser is not inside that coil and will be outside somewhere. A 1927 J used a different coil which is why Steve Swan recommended Replicant Metals. A condenser should be easily obtainable, as well as aftermarket square coils.

Steve Swan
12-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Chris, could you share a few more pics of your beautiful 27 ? i am collecting as many pictures of as many original and restored 27's as i can find. Thanks in advance.

ChrisLewis
12-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi Eric
Thought exactly the same hence attaching the photograph, (didn't look correct) against the advertised one, think I may change it though
Steve
Few more photographs

exeric
12-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Still a beautiful motorcycle Chris. I like the '27J the most of the post '25J streamliners. They just look cleaner, and less busy than the later Js. Probably because they don't have a front brake. I guess that could be a plus, or a minus; depending on your point of view:)

Steve Swan
12-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Chris, a big thank you for the wonderful pictures. gorgeous bike.

Steve Swan
12-15-2015, 07:32 PM
just found this on feebay...... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-J-JD-JDH-B-A-knucklehead-Indian-SPARK-COIL-/231784998381?hash=item35f77665ed:g:kk0AAOSwcBhWZFx y&vxp=mtr

ChrisLewis
12-17-2015, 03:17 AM
Hi Eric

Thank you, however credit must go to the original restoration, (unfortunately I don't know his name) I purchased the bike from Bart Crauwels in Belgium, (fearless Bart the TT rider) and have only done some minor cosmetic's. Still at least it is now being used on the roads and not lounging in a front room somewhere !

Front brake ? does it have a back brake ?, cosmetically yes, practically no !!

Starting on a Hill with a foot clutch and no front brake is an emotional situation, (best to be avoided).

Regards

Chris

ChrisLewis
12-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Thanks Steve

Amazing how many people are re producing items for these wonderful machines.
When myself and two friends came over to the States in September we visited the Jack Daniels factory in Lynchburg TN, and the Harley dealer in town has a J on display, (nobody new if it ran or not though). (I say Harley dealer when I really mean a T shirt shop !)
Also there was a Royal Enfield (I think) from the Korean war in town, Ironic me being English and owning 1 of the 4 remaining 1949 WLA's from this period.
meaning the British bike in the US, and the US bike in England. Bizarre !
Regards

Chris

Chris

Bro74
12-22-2015, 02:50 PM
If that is a V-Twin coil, lots of luck. I put 2 on my 28 JD and neither lasted over 75 miles. VERY poor quality. I finally put an electronic ignition from Quick Start and has worked beautifully.

ChrisLewis
12-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Hi Bro 74
Purchased the coil from replicantmetals in the US, Information fro other members seem to recommend this product so fingers crossed it will be fine, will update after receiving the product.

Happy Christmas folks

Chris (UK)

ChrisLewis
12-27-2015, 03:44 AM
Hello again

Is there anybody out there that can help with setting up my timing ?
I have seen a J model and the guy had put a small piece of tape on his advance and retard grip so that when the two sections matched this gave the optimum running.
Good idea I thought.
So here is my quest, using a timing strobe light against the TDC mark on the fly wheel where should we be.
ie ticking over : TDC or advanced say 6 degrees.
And if anybody knows it would be good to receive some information on the various engine ranges.

Thanks Guys.

Chris

ChrisLewis
12-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Woops that was referring to a WLA (wrong section) so please ignore the last post

kiwi tibbs
01-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Hi Chris,

your bike is a beauty, hopefully I can go for a ride with you over the summer as your only 5 minutes up the road.
Happy New Year.

Tony

ChrisLewis
01-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Hi TONY

Thanks, it is a bit sick at the moment with this electrical problem, but the good news is that the WLA is on programme and should be up and running for March.
By all means drop down, we are going to Holland in May for the show, if you fancy the run ?

kiwi tibbs
01-15-2016, 03:49 AM
Hi TONY

Thanks, it is a bit sick at the moment with this electrical problem, but the good news is that the WLA is on programme and should be up and running for March.
By all means drop down, we are going to Holland in May for the show, if you fancy the run ?

HI Chris,
text me your address and I'll drop you a line when I can pop down and say hi.
Cheers

Tony