PDA

View Full Version : another jd on ebay

Steve Swan
06-26-2014, 11:31 PM
When's the last time two JD's were on ebay at same time ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Other-1929-Harley-Davidson-JD-Old-Barn-Bike-antique-motorcycle-/380937730347?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58b1a8792b&item=380937730347&pt=US_motorcycles&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271530532748?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve Swan
06-27-2014, 12:38 AM
On teh red 29, what does the"L" stand for in the vin prefix, "JDL?"

MMasa
06-27-2014, 06:26 AM
The JL (61") and JDL (74") were sport solo models and had the narrow gas tanks, etc. like on the two cam JDH.
That red 29 is a nice looking bike. Has a few incorrect bits on it, but overall a MUCH better starting point than that green POS. If that red one was a bit closer to me, I'd be all over it.
Mark

exeric
06-27-2014, 08:23 AM
I agree; that '29 looks like a very nice bike. It will be interesting to see how high it goes.

Steve Swan
06-27-2014, 12:21 PM
What would you say the value of the red 29 is ? What would you hazard to guess the red 29 will sell for on ebay ? The reason i am asking, i am considering selling my low vin 1969 CB750 sandcast to buy the 29.

gww
06-27-2014, 03:40 PM
20-22 my guess

Steve Swan
06-27-2014, 09:59 PM
would contemporary opinion be this is a machine that should be left as is ? i can imagine patina purists would say leave as is ? would a restoration devalue or increase value this bike ? in the end, i realize it's up to the owner to do as the owner wishes....

exeric
06-28-2014, 07:59 AM
I just looked at the '29 again and it's up to $19K with 5 days to go. The current dogma in this crazy hobby is to leave the bike as is; even funky older restorations. Selling your '69 750 will be a very painfull deal, so you'll have to ask yourself which bike you could have more fun with, or enjoy looking at more. It's fun to have something new to explore and learn about but not if you will miss the other bike. Dollar wise they are both desirable, and valuable. . . How's that for a non-committal reply:)

Shaky Jake
06-28-2014, 10:35 AM
would contemporary opinion be this is a machine that should be left as is ? i can imagine patina purists would say leave as is ? would a restoration devalue or increase value this bike ? in the end, i realize it's up to the owner to do as the owner wishes....

That's an excellent question and well stated. It's seems to me that you have to fully commit to one camp or the other. I see restored bikes bringing crazy money at auction if they're near 100% perfect. At the same time people drool all over an original bike if the finish is nearly all original. But if you're somewhere in between, say an old bike with some restored tin work and some not, and a few re-pop parts thrown in to make it ride-able, the monetary value suffers greatly. I never seem to get the money out of things that I put into them anyway, so it doesn't make sense to me to make monetary value the primary consideration. Besides, I have a hard time letting go of the good stuff, so what does it matter what it's worth.

Personally, I think that red bike is one beautiful machine, even though the paint isn't original, and if I had it I would change the oil, fix the brakes, tires, etc. as needed, and ride it. To my way of thinking the green one would be a better candidate for restoration, since it's ugly and doesn't appear to have much original finish to destroy. Obviously everybody is different so, as you say, it's up to the owner to do as the owner wishes....

Kevin

Steve Swan
06-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Eric. I have been asking myself those questions and i think my head trumps my heart, i'll probably pass. i really am enjoying my 27 and can hardly wait to ride it when it's finished. My sandcast is #232 and it is as nice as any, all the rare early parts seen on 1 and 2 digit bikes. Initially i wanted a 29, since my Dad had traded his 27 in for a new 29. he had to turn the 29 back in when the Depression came. Even though he is gone i always thought it would be nice to have the bike he could not keep. But the pictures i have of him, are all on his 27. That's where he had all his care free 21 year old fun. Enclosed is a pic of him heading home from Cincinnati to NE Nebraska, probably sometime May 1927. Also a pic of my sandcast. Dad bought a new 750 Sept of 69, turns out it was 4779, now as we know them today, a sandcast.

Steve Swan
06-28-2014, 10:48 AM
And thanks for the reply Kevin. I am in your camp. The red JD has alot of character. that front license plate "Stormy Hill Juniors" probably has a story or two.

exeric
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the pictures Steve; the one of your Dad is priceless and like you said, the '27 is the one he spent the most time with. Still, that '29 on ebay is a gem. Regarding the Honda; it's way too nice to part with.

sirhrmechanic
06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
And thanks for the reply Kevin. I am in your camp. The red JD has alot of character. that front license plate "Stormy Hill Juniors" probably has a story or two.

There is a Stormy Hill Harley Davidson in Florida... West of Orlando. Wonder if there is a link?

It is a very neat bike. I think it will make over $30... just a hunch. Someone is going to want that 'patina' very badly.

Cheers,

Sirhr

djones
06-28-2014, 10:15 PM
I agree, it will top 30. Its funny how people (us) all are attracted to the same stuff. I thought the Stormy Hill Juniors plate was as cool as it gets.

The restoration question is tough. I took a bunch of heat for restoring a 29 101 scout. It had a little to much patina for me, and I enjoy the restoration process. A lot of stuff that was hidden got fixed, and I believe the bike will be passed to the next caretaker in better condition than when I acquired it. Someone made a good point about getting the oldest beater to restore, but a word of caution on that. The rough beater usually are missing the hardest to find parts, and have the most wrong with them. They were pushed in the corner without the cylinders on them for a reason.

The 29 JD is on my list to sit beside the 29 scout, but my problem is I just picked up my next project. Problem with it is I don't know whether to restore or leave the patina.........................

Steve Swan
06-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the pictures Steve; the one of your Dad is priceless and like you said, the '27 is the one he spent the most time with. Still, that '29 on ebay is a gem. Regarding the Honda; it's way too nice to part with.

Thanks Eric for your kind words. i'm going to sit back and watch the red 29 go by......