PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Shut-off Valve Alignment Tool

Bill Pedalino
12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I know this isn't a custom tool, but this seems like the right place to ask this question.

I'm considering purchasing Ted's gas valve shut-off alignment tool to correct a slight misalignment on my '47 FL. I have had some issues with some of his tools in the past. He has never given me any trouble in offering refunds for problem tools, but I can do without the back-and-forth. In all fairness, my experience is that over the last several years the quality of his tools seems to have improved substantially and I have been satisfied with all of my recent purchases. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has used this V-Twin tool and if so, did it work properly?

Thanks...

Chris Haynes
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I have bought two of them and they work well. But don't loan it to anyone or you will never see it again. :-(

sirhrmechanic
12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Also consider whether you 'need' the tool. If your tank is not shutting off properly, it may be needed. But I've now done the valves in several tanks with no need for a specialized alignment tools. I've also done dozens of Autovac type vacuum fuel pumps which use similar shut-offs... again never having to use an alignment tool.

Then again, perhaps I have just been lucky...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Bill Pedalino
12-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I guess that's why you bought TWO of them Chris....

Bill Pedalino
12-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, after reading Sirhr's post I went down to my basement fiddled with it a little more hoping that I could tap it into alignment on the bike. 20 seconds of assessment deemed this not a good idea.

It seems that when using an old rod and seat everything works very well. I then fit my new Peek-tipped rod assembly from Carl Olsen (very nice job Carl) and low and behold, there is interference. The rod-to-seat threads are tight and there is a fair amount of resistance when pulling the rod up to the reserve position. It would probably work as-is with the peek tip as the misalignment appears to be minor, but its not correct and I'm not going to grumble about it every time I turn the gas on and off.

The problem is that its a painted tank (no, nobody checked the fuel valve before it was painted!) and never having a need to use this tool before, I'm concerned about the paint. Looking at the tool, it doesn't appear that this adjustment can be made with the tank on the bike. So hopefully with enough old blankets on my bench I'll be able to tap this thing back into correct alignment without causing any damage to the paint.

As always, suggestions from others derived form previous experience are more than welcome.

Jerry Wieland
12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, after reading Sirhr's post I went down to my basement fiddled with it a little more hoping that I could tap it into alignment on the bike. 20 seconds of assessment deemed this not a good idea.

It seems that when using an old rod and seat everything works very well. I then fit my new Peek-tipped rod assembly from Carl Olsen (very nice job Carl) and low and behold, there is interference. The rod-to-seat threads are tight and there is a fair amount of resistance when pulling the rod up to the reserve position. It would probably work as-is with the peek tip as the misalignment appears to be minor, but its not correct and I'm not going to grumble about it every time I turn the gas on and off.

The problem is that its a painted tank (no, nobody checked the fuel valve before it was painted!) and never having a need to use this tool before, I'm concerned about the paint. Looking at the tool, it doesn't appear that this adjustment can be made with the tank on the bike. So hopefully with enough old blankets on my bench I'll be able to tap this thing back into correct alignment without causing any damage to the paint.

As always, suggestions from others derived form previous experience are more than welcome.

Bill

My experience with paint and using the tool is that on just a slight tweek the paint will be OK.

Jerry

Chris Haynes
12-30-2013, 12:43 AM
I guess that's why you bought TWO of them Chris....

Yup. Not gonna buy another one.

T. Cotten
12-30-2013, 08:13 AM
The factory tool is a joke, Folks.

Steel has to be bent past the point you want it to return to, and beating the tool with a hammer does little to overcome this issue.

I started with a tap I made for cleaning paint from the bottom threads. Then I center-drilled it for a 1/4" ground rod that is long enough to reach through the top.

Any mis-alignment is visibly apparent, and a little grunt upon the tap with a piece of pipe easily tweaks it straight.
When the top of the tank is bent, I use a piece of pipe brazed to a frosty 62091-40 seal cap, and tweak it similarly.

The paint never gets touched.

.....Cotten

koanes
12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
The factory tool works just fine and striking it with a hammer is not part of the program. A minor misalignment is very easy to correct. I think the V-Twin tool is fine. Don't tell any one you have the tool or all your friends and their cousins, and their cousin's cousins will be banging on your door with tank in hand.

Chris Haynes
12-30-2013, 03:48 PM
The factory tool works just fine and striking it with a hammer is not part of the program.

You need to read the instructions again.

T. Cotten
12-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Good grief Chris,

You were the one that posted about beating upon the tool!
(I think it was on the FHP forum...)

Bottom line is that steel is steel, and it must be bent past 'true' to recoil to 'true'.

....Cotten

Chris Haynes
12-30-2013, 05:49 PM
As I said Cotten. read the instructions in the H-D Service Manual. It tells you to "Strike T handle several sharp blows with a hammer." Not my words but H-Ds.

sirhrmechanic
12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Good grief Chris,

You were the one that posted about beating upon the tool!
(I think it was on the FHP forum...)

Bottom line is that steel is steel, and it must be bent past 'true' to recoil to 'true'.

....Cotten

I think Chris was trying to point out that you DO need to hit it with a hammer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

sirhrmechanic
12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Oops, I see Chris beat me to it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

T. Cotten
12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Sorry for my confusion, Folks,..

I shouldn't try to "multi-task" anymore.

But at least I still have some memory left; I only wish I knew to beat upon the tool the one time I attempted to use one.
(Although I am certain the owner of the tool would have been alarmed for his heirloom.)

....Cotten

Hollywood
12-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Here's an alternative to use on tanks already mounted. I wrote this up for someone last year...I call it The Caveman Way...please read disclaimers...
There is no tapping with hammers involved...also Magneto Zoo makes a tool

http://knucklebuster1939.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-cave-man-waybecause-nick-asked.html

koanes
12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
My tool was NOS HD wrapped in cosmoline when I got it over twenty five years ago. There were no instructions included. I have used it successfully at least 50 times and have not hit it with a hammer. I assume the hammering was suggested to set spacing on a badly damaged tank. If anyone has factory instructions they could copy and post here I would love to see them. Thanks, Kyle

Rubone
12-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Kyle,
The instructions are in the service manuals.
http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11063

T. Cotten
12-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Hollywood!

Whatever works is just fine!

The Factory was faced with solving a problem for its dealer network service people, who may or may not have shared your skills of observation and patience.
They needed something even down-and-dirtier, as 'time-is-money'.

They spent a lot of effort to make a tool to make it mindless.
Unfortunately, steel has its own rules.

Bending steel is like walking through a forest.
Although you can walk half-way to the other side over and over, you still will never reach the other side.

....Cotten

Bill Pedalino
01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Well, I received the tool from Ted and it looks very nice. The machine work is clean and it fits into the tank thread very nicely. I do notice that when you screw the rod all the way up, it is quite wobbly around the inside at the top fitting as you bottom the lower collar and you must 'finesse' the tool while seating the bottom collar against the gasket surface to get a true reading. Because I don't have a factory tool I can't be sure, but I think it's just the basic design of the tool. I do find that if I turn the tank upside down and seat the collar several time by turning it back and forth with my fingertips and then snugging it , I get a fairly consistent reading on top, as it shows that it's off at the same location.

However, I'm finding that getting it straight is quite another thing as the lower fitting doesn't move easily. Because I was working alone, I mounted the tank on a spare frame thinking it would be easier to pull things around using the frame as an anchor, but this didn't work as there's not working enough room for the tool with the sliding cross bar. I tried bending it on my bench, but again, I was working alone and it was cumbersome so I probably needed more force than I was able to apply. Therefore, it looks like I'll have to enlist the help of a friend to hold the tank on the bench while I attempt to pull the tool around to align the bottom fitting. Thus far, I've avoided any 'impact' work upon the tool and the paint remains intact. However, I hope the fitting bends more easily than it appears right now. Any easier suggestions?

Chris Haynes
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
It is easiest done by following the instructions in the H-D Service manual.

T. Cotten
01-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Bob!

The early manual shows a picture, but just says the instructions come with the tool. The late manual, however, has no pic, but instructions on page 3F-26.

Don't forget to use your non-sparking beryllium hammer,

....Cotten

Bill Pedalino
01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
With a little assistance (an 'anchorman'), I tweaked the bugger into alignment without any paint damage whatsoever, even without the assistance of my 'non-sparking beryllium hammer..... The rod now threads and slides smoothly and all is well with the world. Thanks to all for your pointers!