PDA

View Full Version : Ted's Repop Parts

junkyarddog
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
I see that Ted's is working on swamping the AMCA Foundation all ready. A separate thread for Ted's is in order and will probably draw a lot of interest. I have only had experience with a few of Ted's part & was not satisfied at all. Jim

junkyarddog
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
I can see that the AMCA Foundation thread is going to get over run with Ted's. I think a separate link is in order. Comments good or bad will be of help to let people know what fits and what does not fit. I have only had experience with a few of their parts and was not happy with any of them. Jim

Sargehere
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
If he's going to be a subject, we might as well start by distinguishing his name. I know the name of his business is "Tedd's V-Twin." So it's Tedd, with two tees. (I mean, dees!) There are a lot of "Teds" out there, but by spelling it "Tedd,", there's probably only one, so everyone will know who we're talking about.

Rubone
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
That's two Ds Sarge!
Robbie

Sargehere
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
That's two Ds Sarge!
Robbie

Altzheimer's strikes someone every every seven seconds, Robbie!

D.A.Bagin
04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't think this A.M.C.A forum is a place to make comments about a fellow member. There are other forums out there if you must. D.A.Bagin #3166

LouieMCman
04-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Can't remember when I bought any parts from V-Twin, I like original parts, but I do know that they have been sponsoring (paying for) the national trophies for the last year or so at the national meets as long as they get recognition by adding "sponsored by V-Twin" on them. Ya, I know it's advertising but something they don't have to do.

junkyarddog
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I just don't understand why the don't correct the problems of their products that dont fit without reworking them. I good frend bought a springer front fender and ended up making new fender braces to get it to set the right height off the tire.

Robert Luland
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think this A.M.C.A forum is a place to make comments about a fellow member. There are other forums out there if you must. D.A.Bagin #3166

OK! Lets do a spin on it. Will change it to V-Twin piece of **** products. Does that make ya a happy camper now?

Robert Luland
04-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I just don't understand why the don't correct the problems of their products that dont fit without reworking them. I good frend bought a springer front fender and ended up making new fender braces to get it to set the right height off the tire.

Why should they? You and a lot of other people are buying there crap just the way it is. The fender? Chinese tape measure verses American tape measure. One slides out sideways and the other flat.

junkyarddog
04-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't want every post on here to be negative.
The friend with the fender also bought a frame, sent it back and found an original.
A front crash bar, had to rework and rechrome.
A springer front end and was happy enough to keep and use it.
My self. I bought a set of replacement forward controls for a 68 Shovel Bobber.
I had to drill and tap the shift lever for a set screw into the shaft to keep it from slipping.
The brake pedal pivot stud in the plate fell off, luckly on a county road instead of traffic.
Passed my turn because of no rear brake. Went back and found the stud a found a good welder in Alabama. It is back on to stay now. Jim

D.A.Bagin
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a happy camper all the time. Maybe that's because I treat people with respect and civily when I converse with them and usually get the same in return.. I have read many of your posts on this forum and others and have enjoyed them. I'm not here to debate the quality of V-Twin parts and I do realise that some may not be what you are looking for or correct in all aspects but they do serve some people their needs. They may not have the talent you possess to do a correct restoration or the funds and time neccesary to run down original parts. They keep old bikes on the road and I thought this is what the club is about. No one holds a gun to anyones head and makes them buy them. Enjoy the weather today. Go for a ride. I am. Have a nice day. D.A.Bagin #3166

moon wolf
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
OK! Lets do a spin on it. Will change it to V-Twin piece of **** products. Does that make ya a happy camper now?

It seems an extremely valid topic to me. For instance, the K model / Sportster fender is an excellent replica. Many of the other parts don't fit (like the early Sportster two into one exhaust). It would be valuable, I think, to distinguish the good from the bad, as it is the primary source for re-pop parts.

Oh, and fellow member or not, he does make his living (and a handsome one, I presume) selling the rest of us re-pop parts, which makes him fair game in my book.

Robert Luland
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a happy camper all the time. Maybe that's because I treat people with respect and civily when I converse with them and usually get the same in return.. I have read many of your posts on this forum and others and have enjoyed them. I'm not here to debate the quality of V-Twin parts and I do realise that some may not be what you are looking for or correct in all aspects but they do serve some people their needs. They may not have the talent you possess to do a correct restoration or the funds and time neccesary to run down original parts. They keep old bikes on the road and I thought this is what the club is about. No one holds a gun to anyones head and makes them buy them. Enjoy the weather today. Go for a ride. I am. Have a nice day. D.A.Bagin #3166

Crap is crap! There’s nothing more to be played into this. Your first statement is wrong. This is the perfect forum for this thread. Sorry you think this stuff permisable. I don’t posses all the knowledge you thing. I’m just lucky I’m in the dying metal business in this Country. Let’s keep in mind this is tractor back yard technology. It doesn’t take much to listen to people and get it right. When you knowingly sell bogus products to people that makes you a thief (Scumbag). Let see now. Reinbeck 30 miles from Tedd’s front door and now our so called “Museum” is going straight to his front door. I can’t be a total jackass here. Maybe it’s time everybody here should start waking up. By the way, I didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. Bob L

D.A.Bagin
04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Moon Wolf, I have no problem with constructive criticisim. Its derogatory un-called for remarks that I have a problem with. Any buisness is "Fair game". Especially in the internet age You used a key word Fair D A Bagin

bmh
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
It seems an extremely valid topic to me. For instance, the K model / Sportster fender is an excellent replica. Many of the other parts don't fit (like the early Sportster two into one exhaust). It would be valuable, I think, to distinguish the good from the bad, as it is the primary source for re-pop parts.

Oh, and fellow member or not, he does make his living (and a handsome one, I presume) selling the rest of us re-pop parts, which makes him fair game in my book.

Something must have changed. The one we got two or three years ago was awful. Braces were inches short. We thought it was a Hummer fender, but it didn't fit one of those either. The replacement they sent was just the same.

moon wolf
04-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Something must have changed. The one we got two or three years ago was awful. Braces were inches short. We thought it was a Hummer fender, but it didn't fit one of those either. The replacement they sent was just the same.

I was speaking of the skirted rear fender. The front fender is nothing like the original.

Paps
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't give a crap where one buys his aftermarket parts. They are all the same at one time or another. One batch may suck. The next batch may be perfect. What gets my gall is when a supplier knows for well a batch is bad and continues to sell them until the stock is depleted. Legal terms are used in the aftermarket realm as well. Look out for the parts titled replica ! This title suggests in no way the part is even a safe part to utilize. It is a fake copy without the specifications of operational or safe use. If a part does not specifically state its equality to oem specs, beware of it !! Paps

Chris Haynes
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Just because nine of Tedd's parts are crap is no reason to say all ten of them are ! :D

junkyarddog
04-01-2010, 09:59 PM
9 out of ten is not what I would say is a good average.
I'ld like to hear about the good ones, so we know which to buy if we can't aford the genuine original OEM parts. Repops are better then nothing if they are good. I'll say it again, repops have their place if they are good quality and fit. I sill want to get some positive things going here. Jim

rwm
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
they will gladly refund your money when your not happy with one of tedd's parts. thats positive

Robert Luland
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
they will gladly refund your money when your not happy with one of tedd's parts. thats positive

Come on Rob that's the best you can do. I know you better. Try 15 to 20 percent restocking fee plus your shipping coming and going for a peice of junk they new was junk. I'm not laying down on this one.

sludge
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
the box my poorly made repop 41 knuckle tanks came in was sturdy and held up well when i used it to send the tanks back, the peanuts worked good too....now if that aint a positive i don't know what is.

Barry Brown
04-02-2010, 08:04 AM

NO THEY WON'T! LAST I CHECKED THEY WILL ONLY GIVE YOU A CREDIT . I CALL THAT A RIP OFF.

Northwoods_Maine
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Haven't done business with them, but based on the comments here and on a couple other threads it doesn't appear that the board of directors made a decision on the new location of the AMCA Museum that sits well with most of the active members. But then again not many thought the terms of the last (current) location was a wise expenditure either. I will say that if I owned a business manufacturing or selling old bike parts and the AMCA decided to house their museum in my competitor's place of business, I sure would have to give serious consideration to cancelling any current/future advertising with the AMCA (on-line or in the magazine). Just not a smart move to align one of the club's most visible assets to any ONE advertiser's place of business.

Is this decision final yet? If not then maybe the results of a poll here among the membership with a simple "Yes", "No", or "I don't care" choice of responses might give the board a slightly different perspective/direction.

Rod
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
My 63 FLH came with a V Twin speedometer when I bought the bike ten years ago. The speedometer, odometer, and trip odometer have worked perfectly for 10,000 miles. That is one part that seems to be OK.

Robert Luland
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
My 63 FLH came with a V Twin speedometer when I bought the bike ten years ago. The speedometer, odometer, and trip odometer have worked perfectly for 10,000 miles. That is one part that seems to be OK.

Begginer Ruck!

Chris Haynes
04-03-2010, 09:59 AM

Two things about the speedometers. First off all it is not made by Tedd. He simply sells them. Secondly it would never pass as a reproduction because it looks a lot different than the original.
As far as filling the hole and working goes they are fine.

46EL
04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I just looked at the last catalog Ted personally gave me at Swap Meet. It is his 2008 version and has almost 1,300 pages. I cannot imagine how much work is involved putting out a catalog that covers everything from Antique to the modern stuff (that I know nothing about) and everything inbetween. Nowhere in the catalog does it say that the Pan, Knuckle or 45 repop parts are 100% perfect guaranteed to fit restoration quality items. Common sense says when you buy a repop part for a fraction of what a NOS or nice original part goes for you know you are not getting that NOS Part! If you have deep pockets and you are totally restoring a nut and bolt 46 Knuckle that is worth 40K when done, why are you even looking in his catalog? Too cheap to buy the real deal stuff? You want the part you need tommorrow for a fraction of what an original costs and you want it to be perfect? Twenty Five years ago when I bought an Indian Repop Part some were good and some were bad. Same thing during the Chopper era. Some was good, some was OK and some was crap. Bashing someone who has made a serious effort to help people put motorcycles on the road by selling stuff whether good or bad helps nobody.

moon wolf
04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I just looked at the last catalog Ted personally gave me at Swap Meet. It is his 2008 version and has almost 1,300 pages. I cannot imagine how much work is involved putting out a catalog that covers everything from Antique to the modern stuff (that I know nothing about) and everything inbetween. Nowhere in the catalog does it say that the Pan, Knuckle or 45 repop parts are 100% perfect guaranteed to fit restoration quality items. Common sense says when you buy a repop part for a fraction of what a NOS or nice original part goes for you know you are not getting that NOS Part! If you have deep pockets and you are totally restoring a nut and bolt 46 Knuckle that is worth 40K when done, why are you even looking in his catalog? Too cheap to buy the real deal stuff? You want the part you need tommorrow for a fraction of what an original costs and you want it to be perfect? Twenty Five years ago when I bought an Indian Repop Part some were good and some were bad. Same thing during the Chopper era. Some was good, some was OK and some was crap. Bashing someone who has made a serious effort to help people put motorcycles on the road by selling stuff whether good or bad helps nobody.

It appears to me the complaints are legitimate. I hope you got Tedd to sign your catalog.