PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Restorations

talbot-2
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I am seeking quality restoration of an Mesinger Calvary Saddle #4 and would appreciate any comments regarding the quality,etc. of the motorcycle saddle restorations of circa 1912 saddles from the "Saddleshop" in Florida? Examples of personal experiences would be helpful.

Ohio-Rider
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Give this guy a call. His work is top shelf and he is a fellow member here.

http://www.worshamcastle.com/

talbot-2
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I talked to Michael Paquette at WorshamCastle last week and he noted that he does not do the Mesinger Calvary saddle #4 with the Mesinger stamp. He only does the one with the Indian stamp. Thanks.

Paquette
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Chuck at the Saddleshop--386-690-3797--IMHPO there is no where else to go--Michael--WCCL

shane
01-13-2010, 02:57 AM
try.
www.xianleather.com
its expensive, but tyhe best ive ever seen.

silentgreyfello
01-13-2010, 03:23 AM
try.
www.xianleather.com
its expensive, but tyhe best ive ever seen.

Ok for a chopper or bobber I suppose, but not antiques, at least in the 11 pages of galleries that I viewed.

rbenash
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Talbot2 - where did you end up for your saddle resto?

talbot-2
01-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I haven't as of today. I'm still seeking references and recommendations for the various saddle restoration vendors. This forum seems to the next best option to a antique motorcycle "consumer reports". I have found that not everyone does restoration of the early cycle saddles. And of those that do, not everyone does Mesinger saddles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rbenash
01-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Sorry I can't help with yours. Just shipped my 65 FLH buddy seat out to Chuck and Jo at The Saddleshop for restoration. Based on comments here, after talking to them, and looking at material samples, etc. Mines a newer seat than yours but had similar challenges. Not many folks around are doing resto on vinyl seats that look right. These guys seem to have the right material/color/beading. Luckily my seat pan is in good shape so keeping that original paint. Might have them highlight the factory date stamping as it's a little light.

I had been talking with Heather's Leather's based on a seat they had done on a '65 I saw at Oley this year. Communications broke down, never got samples, etc. So finally gave up. They said they had the heavy vinyl "harley white" material I was looking for though.

Anyway none of that helps you, but was curious who you ended up with is all.

talbot-2
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Late yesterday, I contacted a person who I consider to be a reputable reference for early motorcycles. He has had work done by the "The Saddleshop" and is extremely pleased with their restoration work on early leather motorcycle saddles. Based on his satisfaction and their comments to me about their product, that's where I'm going to go.

talbot-2
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
"The Saddleshop" in Florida restored my two 1912 Mesinger Calvary #4 saddles. The saddles have been returned to their previous position on my 1912 H-D with an original H-D tandem seat. I highly recommend "The Saddleshop" as they did an excellent job. Contact "Chuck" or "Jo".

rbenash
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
They did my 65 Pan Resto vinyl seat too. The best. Be aware that the do HD Vinyl Pan/Shovel seats to perfection. They have the right vinyl color and replicate the push/feel/density and do the skirt right as well. If you are looking for late Pan or Shovel seats done right give them a call. The AMCA rag advert doesn't really speak to what they can do.

DanM
10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I had my Messinger 3 done by Chcuk and Jo and am extremely pleased with it. Nice color, stitching, clean holes, and a distinctive stamp.

ricmoran
10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Anyone have a link to the Saddle Shop in Florida or a phone number?

Thanks.

48hdbob1
10-24-2010, 03:53 PM
phone # 386 690 3797

ricmoran
10-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the phone number.

fuzzyktu
11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Chuck and jo are great. I have had 2 seats done by them. They made me a Troxel jumbo for my 16 single and a Messinger for my 30 VL. Excellent as always. This winter they are doing a Schwinn phantom seat for me. I would not go anywhere else!!

sirhrmechanic
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi:

Just got a note back from Larry Heilman this morning that he is closing his shop and not taking any new orders. As a long-time customer, this is a shame... he was fantastic.

I have not used Saddleshop, but want to get in touch. I have a Buddy seat that I need redone. Does Saddleshop have a Web site or an e-mail address? The reviews here on AMCA forum are fantastic and I have a phone number, but would love to see some of their work online.

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Chris Haynes
12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I would suggest Michael Pauquette at www.worshamcastle.com.

Sargehere
12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
You don't need to "audition" Michael Paquette. Tell him what you want, provide what he needs, and you will be thrilled with the results, seats or saddlebags. Period. Hands down. Top drawer leather man and a helluva nice guy.

talbot-2
12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
The website for The Saddle Shop is www.saddlerestoration.com. They also have an ad in the AMCA magazine. The attached is a photo of the Mesinger Calvary saddles #4 that they did for me this year.