PDA

View Full Version : 1928 scout oiling system

Chris56
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi

I need help with oiling system on my 1928 101 Indian Scout

Just been rebuilt- new pistons with oil control rings from Hecker 101 in Germany

on this model the crank case vent is on the clutch case side. It leaks a lot of oil at lower engine speeds, why did Indian move it to the timing cover later?

Any ideas what is the problem? and how to fix it!

Regards
Chris

Ken Lee
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Hello Chris , I think one problem is these bikes weren't designed to run with oil control rings and maybe they give more pressure in the crank case , check the crankcase level plug to see if too much oil is getting in te case and if so cut the oil down a bit but do this a little at a time as too much is better than too little ! Are you a member of the 101 association ? you could ask on their site too , best of luck , Ken

jimmyallison
10-29-2011, 12:23 AM
How does one find about the 101 Association?

Chris Haynes
10-29-2011, 12:47 AM
http://www.101scout.org/

Indiantim
10-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi

I had exactly the same problem on my 101 with the same pistons, first I relocated the breather to the timing side as per an Indian service shot. Still the crankcase filled with oil and the motor overheated. Even caught fire on one occasion!

Next I removed the oil rings, problem solved! adjusted oil pump to 150 miles per quart, as recommended by the guru George Yarioki. Oil pump adjusting screw is wound quite a way in! The motor should burn oil like a 2 stroke, slight haze when warm. After standing for some time drain the crankcase.

I have done about 5000 miles since I removed the rings with no problems.

Hope this helps

indianut
10-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Absolutely, you can not use oil rings on a Total Loss System! For Street use. On the other hand, when I am setting up a Wall Bike I put oil rings on it, but I do not use an oil pump, or even plumb the oil lines. Every few days of use I drain the case and put a couple of ounces of fresh oil back in!