PDA

View Full Version : Removing Carbon from Pistons

Garym
05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Anyone know of a chemical that helps remove carbon from pistons? I heard of using oven cleaner. I'm getting tired of scrap, scrap, scrap!

Thanks,
Gary

petri
05-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Yes, I once used Easy Off Oven Cleaner on a very large copper cauldron that was used to boil apple butter down. The bottom was encased in solid carbon from sitting over an open fire for years. I couldn't scrape it off. Easy Off did the trick; I couldn't believe it. I believe it's main ingredient is sodium chloride. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Howard

AdminGuy
05-05-2007, 12:46 AM
are the pistons in barrel? If so maybe smear a line of grease over crack as not to put cleaner onto rings.

Garym
05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Guys! The pistons have been removed from the connecting rods. I think I have a can of easy-off. How long did you have to leave the easy-off on, before it removed the carbon?

Gary

Garym
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
My can of easy-off says: do not use on aluminum. I guess it's back to scrap, scrap, scrap!

Gary

Garym
05-05-2007, 12:35 PM
My can of easy-off says: do not use on aluminum. I guess it's back to scrap, scrap, scrap!

Gary

Paps
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Penetrating fluid should safetly loosen the carbon if soaking is the method. My Pop used it in running engines to do the same thing but I was always paranoid that large pieces may leap off and cause damge to the valves, bores, and rings with that method of its use. Paps

Garym
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Paps. I'll give it a try.

Gary